- £100 Waitrose Voucher
- A full day’s consultancy or training with Sustainable Chef and British Leeks Ambassador, Julie Cleijne
- Plus, visit to a British Leek farm for an Agricultural immersion day
Could Leeks be the most sustainable of all our British grown veg?
In season for 9 months of the year, a strong robust crop, super healthy for us, and delicious, and the entire plant is edible – it doesn’t get much more sustainable than that!
There are so many different parts of the leek, each with their own distinct taste and textures. They’re a powerhouse of healthy fibre and pre-biotics too, which can help maintain strong immunity, and improve our gut health. So with them being in season almost all year round, Mother Nature is clearly encouraging us to eat leeks more often for our physical and mental health.
To celebrate this most versatile of vegetables the British Leek Growers Association is inviting entries to their #sustainableleeks competition for a chance to win a £100 Waitrose voucher, a full day’s training or consultancy with British Leeks Ambassador, Julie Cleijne the Sustainable Chef, AND an opportunity to visit British Leek farm and learn how this most British of vegetables is harvested.
We want to inspire people at home, and chefs in foodservice, so they can get to know all the distinct tastes and textures of a leek, how to use the whole leek to reduce their food waste, get value for money, and support their health and British farmers in the process.
With shortened supply chains as a result of lockdown and Brexit, now more than ever is the time to encourage everyone to make the most of fantastic British grown foods.
We’re inviting chefs, catering, hospitality, agricultural and sustainability students along with keen home cooks and food bloggers, to get in the kitchen, and create some delicious leek-based recipes, using every single part of the leek. Simply send in your recipes and photos to us for your chance to win.
How to enter
Simply get creative with every part of the leek, creating recipes that either use the whole leek, or as much of the leek as possible – minimising waste. All recipes must include leeks as an intrinsic ingredient, and you can make canapé, starter, side, main or even dessert recipes! It’s up to you.
Detail your recipe ingredients and method, also take a photo or photos of the final dish. Then email them to us for entry and judging. The winning recipe or recipes will be featured on the British Leeks website and social media channel and those of the Sustainable Chef Julie Cleijne.
For inspiration, check out the recipes already created by our British Leeks Ambassador, Julie Cleijne, and other great Chefs on our recipes page.
Terms & Conditions
By entering into this competition all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the following rules.
- The prize promotion is open to UK residents only.
- Entrants must be 18 or over and all entries must be made from within the United Kingdom.
- The prizes shall be awarded at The British Leek Growers Association discretion and if it considers any entrant has acted inappropriately or dishonestly in entering into the competition it reserves the right to refuse to award any prize.
- No purchase is necessary.
- The competition will run from midday Monday 18th January until midday Thursday 18th February 2021
- Entry mechanism: To enter, simply create a leek-based recipe, photograph it and email to: email@example.com
- Neither the Promoter nor its agencies will be responsible for the non-inclusion of entries as a result of technical failures or otherwise, including any such failure which is within the control of the Promoter or its agencies. Proof of submission of entry is not proof of receipt of entry.
- The closing date for receipt of entries, is 18.02.2021
- The winner will be chosen from all entry submissions by the Chairman of The British Leek Growers Association and the British Leeks Ambassador, Julie Cleijne by 02.03.2021. The winner will be announced the same day via social media.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winner. If the winner cannot be contacted before midday on 02.03.2021, the Promoter reserves the right to select a new winner (without liability to the original winner).
- The prize fund will include a £100 Waitrose/John Lewis voucher and travel & accommodation costs of up to £100 towards a visit to a leek farm. The latter may be substituted for an additional £100 Waitrose voucher if the visit is not feasible.
- The visit to a Leek farm will be undertaken with all parties, to agree a mutually agreeable day and time (subject to any lockdown or imposed restrictions due to coronavirus pandemic).
- The full day consultancy or training with Julie Cleijne can cover: plant-based cooking, free-from cooking, health & nutrition and consumer health trends, seasonal cooking, and reducing waste, or sustainable and regenerative farming considerations – the theme to be chosen by the winner. A mutually agreeable day and time to be agreed by both parties
- The prizes are non-transferable.
- The winner agrees to participate any Public Relations and promotional activity to announce their win undertaken by the British Leek Growers Association
- Other than where such liability cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter cannot accept responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any person entering the competition or as a result of accepting the prize.
- Privacy: Any personal data submitted by you will be used only by the Promoter for administrative purposes and will not be disclosed to a third party without prior consent other than for the purposes of delivering the prize.
Privacy: Data Protection Statement: The British Leek Growers Association aims to set best practice in Data Protection. We would like to advise you that your contact details, including name, address, telephone number and email address will be retained on our database for 12 months for competition administration purposes.