1. Introduction and General Terms
In order to provide you with the full range of BLGA information and services, we are sometimes required to collect information about you.
- what information BLGA may collect about you;
- how BLGA will use information we collect about you;
- when BLGA may use your details to contact you;
- whether BLGA will disclose your details to anyone else;
- your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
The websites contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information that you submit or are collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
2. What information will BLGA collect about me?
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from any part of the britishleeks.co.uk website, such as newsletters, competitions, live chats, message boards or register with the an online registration system used across different parts of britishleeks.co.uk, we may ask for personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth. Different webpages may ask for different personal information.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable BLGA and its service providers to provide you with the services you select.
Please note that sometimes on particular webpages we will require you to provide additional personal information, and sometimes sensitive personal information. When we do this we will specify further on these webpages why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
3. How will BLGA use the information they collect about me?
BLGA will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- for “service administration purposes”, which means that BLGA may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in paragraph 4 below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made to the websites, including any content you provide;
- to personalise the way BLGA content is presented to you;
- IP addresses are used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use; and
- to analyse and improve the services offered on britishleeks.co.uk. e.g. to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience.
Where BLGA proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for your use other than as listed above.
4. When will BLGA contact me?
BLGA may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that BLGA can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to britishleeks.co.uk, e.g. on message boards, gallery;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about BLGA services (participation is always voluntary); and
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see paragraph 5 below)
5. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
BLGA won’t contact you for marketing purposes, or promote new services to you unless you specifically agree to be contacted for these purposes.
6. Will BLGA share my personal information with anyone else?
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in paragraph 7 below. Generally, we will only use your information within BLGA. However, sometimes BLGA uses third parties to process your information. BLGA will require these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and BLGA will require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
7. Offensive or inappropriate content on BLGA website
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to britishleeks.co.uk, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on britishleeks.co.uk, BLGA may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where BLGA reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of the United Kingdom (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), BLGA may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school e-mail/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
8. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to BLGA’s website. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
9. How long will BLGA keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with BLGA or BLGA’s corporate retention schedule (this is a database that defines which documents should be kept and for how long). In the case that you wish to cancel your registration as a britishleeks.co.uk user, once an account is deleted a red flag goes on the database and, while people cannot use the personal information, it stays on the system for a period of one year for administration purposes before being deleted automatically.
Where you contribute to britishleeks.co.uk BLGA will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted. For example, BLGA will only keep copies of entries to a photographic competition for the duration of the competition. However other projects are likely to have a longer, or even permanent, duration.
BLGA, as a member funded organisation, also has an obligation to record snapshots of history which may include some User Generated Content i.e. content provided by users. Therefore, some content submitted to or shared with BLGA may be retained for prolonged periods of time or potentially indefinitely in BLGA’s Archive, which is true of News contributions which are published. There may also be rare instances where we will share your contribution with third parties in the interests of maintaining historical archives. Where possible, we will endeavour to inform you upfront or let you know at a later date where we are likely to keep content indefinitely or pass it onto an approved historical archive.
10. Can I find out what personal information BLGA holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information BLGA holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved photographic identification.) We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
11. What if I am accessing BLGA websites outside the UK?
You should note that BLGA does place a number of cookies on www.britishleeks.co.uk and may collect information about international users from these – please see paragraph 13 for more information about cookies.
13. Cookies Policy – Information BLGA collects from you
a. What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer or mobile phone (referred to here as a “device”) browser from a website’s computer and is stored on your device’s hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser’s preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites. Many sites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
Cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor the websites to your interests. Users have the opportunity to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. The last of these means that certain personalised services cannot then be provided to that user and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the britishleeks.co.uk features. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Information supplied by cookies can help us to analyse the profile of our visitors and help us to provide you with a better user experience. For example: if on a previous visit you went to our health pages, we might find this out from your cookie and highlight health information on your second and subsequent visits.